Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Names

I was working on Chapters 1 and 2 yesterday. I had written chapter 1 about a month ago and then wrote chapter 2 almost independently, but with similar ideas floating around in my head. They didn't quite fit together, and needed to be reworked. I'm sure they still need even more work. There were simple problems like continuity of season, cast of characters, language style and names.

The characters so far are a middle-age woman (me), her husband and two children. I didn't want to use our real names, because the story isn't true. It's just that these are characters I know (and love) well. When I picked names at random, it didn't feel right and I couldn't remember who was who. SO, I decided to look up the meanings of our names and find different names with similar meanings. My name and my daughter's name both mean pure. My husband and son's name mean strong and bright fame, respectively. So, I chose Jenny (a nickname for Virginia), Kate (nickname for Katherine), Rich (nickname for Richard) and Sam (nickname for Samson). It feels good now.

No comments:

Post a Comment