Monday, April 13, 2009

Still fishing

Easter Sunday was about a week ago. We had a wonderful day with family, despite my dear husband being confined to bed.  Our daughter had some intestinal issues at 4:30 am Saturday (i.e. threw up all over the floor - hard wood, not carpet....Thank God for small blessings).  Although I cleaned up the mess to try to shield him, he spent the next 26 hours working on labor and delivery.  Lack of sleep makes one susceptible to viruses!  He was a bit better the next day, but doing another 26 hrs.  Poor guy.

But, as I was saying, Easter was joyful.  I was home with the children Easter Monday, because they didn't have school.  Which brings me back to the job opportunity discussion.  What do cleaning up vomit and Easter holidays have in common?  They are both reasons that I need a job that is flexible.  When the kids don't go to school due to a holiday, teacher in-service, sickness or snow day, I immediately think........Yes, this is why I work 20 hrs per week.  How on earth can I commit to consistently working more?

In my last post, I described two positions I was considering.  The adjunct teaching position for a "Medical Instructor" turned out to be very far from my ideal job. They were looking for someone to teach "medication dosing" (algebra) and "psychology" (how to appropriately communicate with patients).  They generally hire people with a bachelors degree and have gotten rid of those with only associates degrees.  Well, I already have a job for which I'm grossly over-qualified (I have a doctorate, remember).

The other position is a postdoctoral research associate position. Since I have already done two postdocs, I'm actually over-qualified for that one too, but at least it's a closer fit. The head of the lab said my recommendations were very strong (hurray). I was very excited.  However, he asked, appropriately, where I saw myself going afterwards.  Where would it lead?  This is, unfortunately, a very good point.  There is a glut of PhDs like me.  Postdocs don't always lead to faculty positions, because there are not enough openings.  There are some alternate career paths, but not many.  What to do?

2 comments:

  1. After a month I finally got to take a look! Still haven't got the vacuuming done ...
    I'm so totally with you!
    Cousin Gail

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the note cuz. Keep sending those surgery updates. We're praying.

    ReplyDelete