Thursday, April 2, 2009

It's beautiful out. Why am I in?

It's a beautiful day and I'm sitting here at the computer.  Why?  Quite simply, because my need to get back into science keeps nudging me.  I am determined to find a solution.  We moved to this very rural area at my urging.  It's about an hour from my hometown.  My husband and I agreed that we didn't want to move somewhere just for a job.  After all, a job's just a job.  There's more to life.  I haven't changed my mind about there being more to life, I  just miss the science.  

And the clock is ticking.  It has been three years and I can't remember a lot of things.  I've been learning new things about patient needs, coping with chronic illness, raising children and lots more.  But I think that if I stay away from the science for much longer, I'll have forgotten too much.  So, I've started attending research talks in the city where I work.  It's waking my brain up, but it's also a lot like holding a piece of chocolate cake in front of a dog.  They're not supposed to eat chocolate and I don't have any job offers.  We're both salivating.

I was thinking about developing a project......basically writing up a grant application or at least an outline/research plan, even though I don't have a postdoc or faculty position.  Einstein wrote a lot of his papers when he was a patent examiner or something, right?  

Well, let's see if blogging helps.  The sun is calling.  Gotta go.

No comments:

Post a Comment